Sunday, July 21, 2013

Chicken is trying to torture me.

I had something really weird and strange happen to me last night. We were feeling lazy and had an Olive Garden gift card so we went out to dinner. After gazing at the menu and gaping at the prices (I remember why we hardly ever eat there) I was horrified by how UNHEALTHY pretty much everything was on the menu. Over the years you always see articles talking about the worst restaurants to go to with the unhealthiest meals and it seems Olive Garden is always on there. Now, looking at food in a totally new light, I looked around and saw how horrible all this food really was. Nonetheless, I was fine with it and decided that at least I knew that I was going to fill my stomach with this "grossness." At least the grossness tastes good. I ordered the Stuffed Chicken Marsala.

Here is their menu's description: Oven-roasted chicken breast stuffed with Italian cheeses and sun-dried tomatoes, topped with mushrooms and a creamy marsala sauce. Served with garlic parmesan mashed potatoes. (taken from olivegarden.com).  

My fat loaded meal looked pretty tasty, I have to say. Tried my potatoes...yum. Tried my chicken...yum. Took a second bite of my chicken and about halfway done chewing I stop and stare at my plate. All of a sudden I start to feel sick to my stomach as a thought comes into my brain. I felt like I was in a movie because I swallowed my bite and made that loud "gulp" sound. The documentaries I watched and the research about chicken I've done all crept up in my head. All I could think about was, "Where does Olive Garden get their chicken from?" I seriously cannot believe that it made me feel so disgusted. I couldn't eat any more of my chicken. Ty ate it today for leftovers. Luckily by the time we got our meals I was already pretty full from our fried appetizer, carbs exploding breadsticks and the less-than-healthy salad.

I really don't want to turn into a vegetarian, but it seems I just eat less and less meat. Even at home I literally have like a 1/3 of a chicken breast or very small amount of turkey. It doesn't taste good to me anymore. I just get grossed out. I have to say too that I wasn't getting the feeling of the whole "comfort food" thing  at the restaurant either. I honestly felt kinda guilty the whole time we were there and in the back of my head I just wanted a really yummy salad.

On the bright side, I'm glad these changes are happening and at least I know at this point these probably are going to be permanent changes for my diet.

Today though I made carrot/cucumber/kale/parsley/apple juice and it was really yummy. Now that's something I can drink everyday.

Peace, Love & Juice

2 comments:

  1. I slowly began to be grossed out by meat too. Eventually it was easy for me to turn into a pescatarian! I haven't missed meat once in the past three years!

    ReplyDelete